Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Wow! A good school psychologist is worth her weight in gold

I waited all day Friday for the school psychologist to call me back.  She didn't call and I forced myself not to obsess about it over the weekend.  Today I called again and she called me right back.  It turns out that she was out on Friday.  We discussed the issues and she completely agreed with me that Abe needs to be taken out of the regular English Class.  The only problem was that the connected Social Studies honors class with the teacher with a good fit for Abe was all full.   The class with openings was with the teacher who isn't a good fit and the only reason I dropped the fight in the first place was because I didn't want him with a teacher who would stress him out.  I think the school psychologist shared my frustration with the situation and she promised me she would try to work some magic and fix it.  Amazingly, a couple of hours later she got back to me.  She had convinced the social studies teacher to take him even though the class was full and the English honors teacher agreed to take him as well.  He would have to change some other classes but would have the same teachers so it wouldn't be so bad.  I couldn't believe it.  The psychologist really listened and came through!  Of course Abe doesn't want to change classes but we'll hopefully be able to convince him it is for the best.  I can't believe that things worked out so quickly.  I guess seeing a tantrum in action gets people to move to fix it.  I warned that this could happen all last spring but it wasn't until they saw it for themselves that they really understood what I was talking about.
t

No comments:

Post a Comment