Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sometimes it is frustrating to be right

I sit here a very frustrated parent.  In middle school Abe was in honors English and honors Social Studies.  The social studies teacher wasn't such a good fit and she didn't really implement the IEP accomodations but we had other fish to fry and I didn't really focus on her class.  At the end of the year Abe still ended up with an average in the mid 80's.  The High School honors program had an integrated social studies and English class and you had to be recommended by both teachers.  The English teacher recommended him and the Social Studies teacher did not.  I tried to work around it, speaking to everyone I could- the guidance counselor, the English Department chair, the psychologists, the behaviorist, the Social Studies Chair.  I explained that to put Abe in a regular English class would not be good as he would be so far ahead of the other students (Abe was hyperlexic and was reading at age 2).  Unfortunately the Social Studies Chair wouldn't budge.  I found out that she was retiring and probably didn't want to bother. The HS school psychologist talked with me and said that the teacher who was teaching the social studies part of the class would not be a good fit so I dropped it.  I had already learned that with Abe, having the right kind of teacher was the most important thing.
      Fast forward to today.  I get a call from the school psychologist that Abe had a meltdown in English class during a Jeopardy game.  When I spoke with Abe he told me that the other kids on his team weren't playing competitively because they were picking the lower point questions and his team was losing.  Given that extra credit was given to the winning team, this made Abe really agitated.  It turns out that tonight was open school night so I went to meet all the teachers.  By mistake I show up in Social Studies a period early and find out that the honors social studies teacher is the same one that he has for regular social studies (talk about serendipity).  It seems that a change was made in the Fall.  When I get to English class, the teacher tells me that she understand why Abe was so frustrated.  He is so far ahead of the other kids that he finds it hard to be there.  The teacher told me that sometimes it is just she and Abe discussing the book.  She sees that he doesn't belong there.  Of course, I am now really agitated as I told them this would happen but I'm just the mom-what do I know?  So, tomorrow I start again, calling the school psychologist and trying to figure out what we should do.  Of course, since Abe  has autism and hates change, if we decide to change his schedule we will have to convince him it is a good idea.  What I really want to say is "I told you so" but of course I won't because it isn't socially appropriate.  The funny thing is the English teacher told me that when Abe says to his classmates things such as "The teacher already said that 100 times, how come you don't know it" she feels like agreeing with him.  I guess Abe says things we would all like to say but don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment